– Silver Lake Apartment Building Typology, Land Use Law, Mixed-Use
Thesis publication developed measurable standards for neighborhood livability. Created a mixed-use zoning code based on analysis of 110 years of emergent residential and commercial building typology and development patterns.
"Evolutionary" zoning based on four principles:
1. Fine grained subdivision as the true limiting factor of neighborhood density.
2. Negative externalities used as the density limiter for mixed-use or commercial functions.
3. Density calculations should be made on a scale larger than the individual lot in question.
4. The forms, functions and density of one lot will affect the future allowable development of the lots surround it.